Nokia Ovi Suite 2.0: The one and only Nokia desktop application (in the future)Tue, 2009-06-23 14:38
Written by: Samuli Ylinen, Nokia Ovi Suite team
Hey all! Dear Beta Labs folks, you have seen many different PC apps from Nokia: Nokia PC Suite, Nokia Nseries PC Suite, Nokia Ovi Suite, Nokia Software Updater, Nokia Map Loader, Nokia Music, Nokia Lifeblog, Nokia Photos, Nokia Device Status, and Nokia PC Suite Enterprise Edition. In other words, far too many. But, starting now, Nokia Ovi Suite 2.0 Beta is the first showcase how things are starting to change.
We've changed the direction and thought about what would be the ideal Nokia desktop app for our users. We've analyzed existing apps, looked how different people use them and really started to think what the primary use cases users need are. Then we started drawing, designing, usability testing, planning, implementing, and testing a totally new Qt-based Nokia desktop application, which we now bring to you for Beta testing: Nokia Ovi Suite 2.0, a fresh start to Nokia's desktop presence. With Qt we were able to make the UI look fresh and light.
Let's have Kalle tell a bit of the Nokia Ovi Suite story:
So this is it, the first beta version of Nokia Ovi Suite 2.0. It combines the key features from many existing Nokia desktop apps. For most Nokia users, this software should take care of the most important use cases on a desktop:
- Connect your device to your desktop with a USB cable or Bluetooth
- Sign in to your Nokia Account to use Ovi services. Or create a new Nokia Account; if you don't have it yet, now it's the time to create one.
- Home view in Nokia Ovi Suite - a quick summary of the new stuff you have in Nokia Ovi Suite or in your device.
- See your messages in a conversational view and keep them safely stored in your desktop
- View and edit your contacts, add contact photos, sync your contacts with Microsoft Outlook, and keep them safely stored.
- Make backups of your device, and update your device's software (yes, we integrated Nokia Software Updater features into Nokia Ovi Suite!).
- Get photos from your device to your desktop and share the important ones in Ovi.
- Download free maps before travelling and transfer them to your device.
- Transfer music to your device.
- Using your device as a modem, connect your desktop to the internet with just one click.
Some things were left out from first Beta, like for example application installation into device, video transfer and playback, and we are trying to get those into later versions. Also, this first Beta is English only, other languages will follow later.
We've been testing this software with many different S40 and S60 devices, many different Windows versions, laptops, desktops, and netbooks. But now we want to give you the opportunity to try out our product and tell us your findings. We've got tons of things in planning for Nokia Ovi Suite and would like to hear your thoughts about the app - how it works and how well it suits your needs. So, go ahead and download, install, and try out Nokia Ovi Suite 2.0. And let us hear your comments - we are here to listen to you! We will be making update releases of Nokia Ovi Suite 2.0 - so your feedback can make a difference.
Thanks, Samuli from Nokia Ovi Suite team