Nokia Xpress (Beta) now available for LumiaWed, 2012-10-03 20:30
Today, we are releasing our first Beta of Nokia Xpress for Lumia. Xpress leverages the power of the cloud to optimize internet browsing to save you data, time and money while you discover and enjoy the latest the web has to offer.
Nokia Xpress is the cloud-based internet service that powers the Nokia Asha series devices and is used by millions of users around the world every day. By rendering web pages in the cloud and minimizing cellular data use, Nokia Xpress allows you to get the most from your data plan.
Xpress for Lumia leverages the Nokia Xpress cloud, and marries it with the powerful capabilities of the Windows Phone platform as well as other compelling cloud-services like SkyDrive from Microsoft. The result is an exciting new kind of Internet app that let’s you get the most out of your Lumia experience.
Here are some of the key benefits & features of Xpress for Lumia:
- Save More. Data plans are becoming more complex, so it’s important to understand and maximize your usage. The Xpress internet platform automatically compresses data by up to 85% so you use less of your data plan and save battery charge. Data usage and savings are reported as a live tile on the start screen and via a detailed dashboard in the app, giving you a quick view of your data usage and savings.
- Discover More. Surfing around can be a less than ideal way to see what’s new on your favorite sites. Break the paradigm by using Nokia’s unique Magazine feature. When you’re on a site with an RSS feed, you’re automatically asked you if you want to add these sites to your magazine. Once you’ve created your magazine, it presents the feeds to you in an appealing, easy-to-use layout. So when you’re on the train home, you can simply flip through the latest stories with a swipe to quickly and easily read what most interests you.
- Have you ever been reading something on the web and wanted to learn more but didn’t have the time to deal with the multiple steps involved in finding more information? With Nokia Xpress for Lumia, more information is a single tap away. Just tap on a word that you want to learn more about and Nokia Xpress will discover related content with automatic contextual search for you. Swipe through screens of related content from Wikipedia, Bing and YouTube. It’s that simple.
- Do More. On vacation and want to read what the locals have to say about a restaurant, but you don’t speak the language? No problem, use the one click language translation feature to translate the page to your language. This capability is available for virtually any web page, making more content accessible to you. Just navigate to the page you’re interested in, tap on the ‘translate to’ option in the app menu and select from one of the 10 currently available languages. The Nokia Xpress internet platform uses the Bing Translate service to do all the work for you.
- Downloads – Want to save content from the web to view it later? With Nokia Xpress you can download videos and other content directly to your Microsoft SkyDrive account without having to first download to your device. As a result, downloads are fast and don’t use up your data plan quotas.