Nokia City Scene
Update 2012-08-17: Version 2.0.7 released
- Brings support for store-sign based navigation in new cities: Chicago, Portland and Seattle
- Future additions to city coverage will not require a new client version anymore
- Fixes the startup crash issues some users had with 2.0.4
New in version 2.0.4
- Navigation supported, so you can see your route on panoramas
- In selected cities, you will also get navigation directions based on store signs recognized from the environment (beginning with San Francisco and a few more will be added in coming days)
- Navigate to any of these destinations:
- business or service you’ve searched
- destination on the map
- friend’s check-in
- place you have stored as your favorite
- For a given navigation route, you can prefetch all the panoramas before starting the navigation. For example if you are connected to Wi-Fi when starting the navigation, you can reduce the amount of data traffic needed while actually walking the route.
The easiest way to get or update the application is to start the "Store" application on your N9 and search for "City Scene". Note: The update requires device firmware PR1.1 (20.2011.40.4) or later, sign in and check installation instructions for more info.
Explore cities in 3D with Nokia City Scene from Nokia Research Center. Click on buildings to browse their stores and services, or use search to jump to what you are looking for. Navigate to your chosen destination with the help of panoramas and store signs. Connect to your social networks to find friends' check-ins or share locations. Now featuring about 20 US cities and soon adding 3 in Europe.
The application combines NAVTEQ street imagery, building models and terrain data to create interactive panoramic street scenes. It uses building models to make buildings clickable, and to present information right on the building facade, so you can discover information just by browsing along a street.
You can use City Scene's location aware search to jump directly to a panoramic view of the place you're looking for, so you'll recognize it when you go there. You can even get a navigation route displayed in a panoramic view to help you find your destination. The application lists your friends' Foursquare and Facebook check-ins so you can jump to where they've been. You can also share "postcards" of locations complete with street address (maybe suggesting a place to meet for coffee later). The Featured Cities list will grow automatically as NAVTEQ completes more drives.
We'd be really happy to hear your feedback about Nokia City Scene. If you've any comments or suggestions please visit our forum.