Nokia Messaging for IM
Touch Update - May 28, 2010! This new client is designed for Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini. With a full redesign focused on an efficient user experience, you should be able to accomplish key actions with one touch (or just a few).
Nokia Messaging makes it easy to mobilize consumer email, IM and social networking across a range of Nokia devices. If you haven't used Nokia Messaging before, be sure to visit the Nokia Messaging site to learn more about setting up email, IM and social networking on your device. Be sure to also try the social networks beta for easy access to Facebook and Twitter.
Nokia Messaging for IM offers a desktop-like IM experience on your Nokia device. You can stay in contact with your friends across multiple communities at the same time, easily switch between them and customize your status by community.
- Chat with your friends on the Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, Google Talk and Ovi communities.
- (new!) Easily change your custom status, avatar (picture) and switch between conversations and communities with just a few taps on touch-based devices.
- (new!) Preview new messages in the Chat home screen widget. When signed in to multiple communities, the widget will cycle between them. You can also change your presence within the widget itself.
- Quickly navigate through multiple conversations across different communities
- Login as ‘invisible’ – you see everyone but they see you as ‘offline’
- You’ll be notified of new messages even when Chat is in the background, for true multitasking on your phone
- Familiar and integrated community experience: Microsoft, Yahoo!, Google and Ovi-specific emoticons, graphics, and sounds.
- Rapidly set your status message and your availability
- See your friends' avatars and set your own using the camera or an image from your gallery (for Windows Live Messenger (new!), Gtalk (new!) and Ovi communities).
- Save conversations to remember your chat sessions
- Create a free Ovi account right from the device
- (new!) Timestamps within the conversation view
Compatibility and system requirements
Please ensure that your device is up to date before installing this application to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
Supported IM communities currently include Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, Google Talk, and Ovi accounts.
The new touch-based beta client is available for the Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini.
From previous Nokia Messaging betas, we know how important client performance is to our users on Nokia Beta Labs. This brand-new client is written in Web Runtime and we’re really proud of the look and feel, but we know we need to do more for the client performance. Upcoming device firmware updates will increase client speed and we are continually making improvements in the client.
Commercial (non-Beta) versions of the Chat client are also available via the Ovi store, via software update and are pre-installed on several S40 devices.
The Nokia E72, Nokia E75 and Nokia E55 include the full Nokia Messaging service and you can install the Chat client by following the ‘Set-up Chat’ link on the home screen.
You can download the client from the Ovi Store for the Nokia E71, Nokia E63, Nokia 5630 Xpress Music, Nokia 5730 Xpress Music, Nokia 6730 Classic, Nokia 6720 Classic, Nokia 6760 Slide, Nokia 6790 Slide/Surge and Nokia N86 8MP.
Within the Ovi Store, search on the term “Nokia Messaging” to see all available clients for your device.
The Nokia Messaging for IM client is also pre-installed on S40-based devices such as the Nokia 6700 Classic, Nokia 6303 Classic, Nokia 6303i Classic, Nokia 6600i Slide, Nokia 7020, Nokia 7320, Nokia 5330 Mobile TV, Nokia 3710 Fold, Nokia 2730 Classic, Nokia 2170 Classic, Nokia 2690, and Nokia X3. Note that a pre-installed application may not be available in all regions.
Even if your operator’s data service does not include Nokia Messaging in your data service, you will still be able to chat using the Ovi community on these devices.