Ovi Maps for mobile v3.06 (Check in update)
April 1, 2011: This trial has concluded.
Updated: 24th February 2011 - Now with Foursquare & Qype check in and the ability to add a public place!
Click here for the traffic flow video showing 24 hours of traffic information in central London!
See your location on the map, explore places around you - or anywhere in the world - and share them. Navigate to your destination with free Drive or Walk in 78 countries. Once you've arrived check in to a place and share it with your friends on your favourite social networks.
What's different from the previous release (v3.04)?
We have made a few major improvements to Ovi Maps in this release. These include:
- New! Support for Foursquare and Qype! – check in to Foursquare as you check in with us and share where you’re at and what you’re up to on your favourite social networks. Our list keeps growing! You may need to match the place on Ovi for us to the corresponding one on Foursquare or Qype, but we’ll remember that link. Next time you check into the same place you won’t have to do that anymore.
- New! Adding a public place - you’re one Check in away from becoming mayor at your favorite coffee place but Ovi doesn’t know it yet? Add it with a few simple steps and you’re ready to Check in. Once it’s been reviewed everyone else will be able to find it in Maps, too.
- Download street maps directly to your device! A new feature called “Update” on the main menu which allows you download Street Maps directly (via WiFi) to your phone without a PC! Please note that phones without WiFi (e.g. Nokia 5230) will not work.
- My Position and Search are now integrated (now called Map). When accessed, it will show your last map view
- Back button in Favourites
- Long tap functionality to delete & rename collections & routes
- Pop up for first time use – to inform user to download new map data (when upgrading 3.04 > 3.06 for the first time)
- Improved behaviours of transit lines settings in map toolbox (no more grey out)
- Compass calibration hint
- Refreshed place details information view
- Pinch to zoom interaction (Only available on Symbian^3 devices)
- Visually refreshed main menu and icons,
- New maps with public transport lines (as a new map layer) for subways, trams and trains in 80+ cities around the world. Just click the map toolbox icon and select Transit lines,
- Improved search experience - find places and addresses around you - or anywhere in the world - fast and easily. Browse places or enter a keyword in the search box. Now with suggestions and "did you mean?" functionality,
- New place pages with description, reviews, pictures and places nearby. Interact with places in a whole new way - you can check in, contact, navigate, save, rate, share, report or see place on the map,
- Share a place - send a place to your friends via SMS or Email. The SMS contains the address and a link to the place page with description, ratings, contact, URL and a mini map. The link opens up on the mobile browser (also on non-Nokia devices),
- Check in - keep your friends up-to-date with where you are and what you're up to. Check in to places and share it with your friends on Facebook and many more social networks. See places you’ve been to in your check in history,
- New Drive assistance mode with live traffic flow - after clicking Drive, you're instantly in drive assistance mode with live traffic flow and more. Once you start moving, get safety camera alerts and speed limit warnings,
- More folder with many rich content services relevant to your location. Personalise your Ovi Maps by selecting the services you'd like to keep on your main menu for instant access.
- Traffic flow: In Drive mode, a number of improvements to the traffic flow colour scheme and layout.
Make a difference - give feedback!
Share your thoughts, submit bugs or suggestion reports in the Beta Labs discussion forum. After trying out Ovi Maps, please complete the First Impression Survey. Once you have a chance to play about with Ovi Maps, please complete the following short User Experience Survey.
Thank you for your participation and contribution. Your feedback helps us to improve the new release of Ovi Maps.